Friday, January 9, 2009

Quote of the Week

Elegance is refusal. -Coco Chanel

I wish I had something, anything, to elaborate on this. But since I don't, I guess that's up for my personal interpretation. To me, this quote is basically saying that in order to be elegant, we have to deny some habits and urges that seem to come natural to us. For example, no matter how much I may want to go off on someone when I feel they are out of line, I have to refuse to lower myself to that. Instead, I'd choose to handle the situation calmly and very ladylike. (I suppose; I'm still trying to figure this all out myself so...) Or, elegance is giving just a little extra time and attention to your appearance even when you're just running out in jeans and a t-shirt. Elegance is basically denying the laziness that sometimes prevents us (okay, me) from taking extra steps to stand out with our best foot forward.

I must work on my refusal...

No comments: