Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Elegant Black Woman's Latest Heroine

Although I am still looking into (and slightly disheartened by) the lack of black representation when it comes to what we view and put out as elegance, I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the most recent black woman to step out on the scene and show America and the world that yes, the elegant black woman does exist.



I know you know where I'm going with this.

Michelle Obama.



And although what I'm saying may have been said before, I still feel the need to give her the props she deserves. I am happy to have Michelle O on the national scene because she brings a side of black women to the forefront that is rarely seen. She is a strong, yet graceful, woman. who exemplifies everything that I aspire to be: intelligent & successful in her career, a supportive wife and mother, bold enough to speak her mind but wise enough to do so tactfully. There is a laundry list of things I could say about why I admire this woman.

But one thing that I don't see her getting much credit for that I sincerely respect is the fact that she has exemplified elegance at every point that I have seen her, regardless of how she was dressed or what she was doing. Not only that,she has achieved her own brand of elegance, not tried to become something or someone that she is not. Although not what many would consider a traditional beauty, she has not resorted to tactics like dying her hair or extreme dieting to shed her "black physique" and conform to Eurocentric standards of beauty or elegance. She is refined and classy, and I am honored to call a woman like that my First Lady. Add to it that she (figuratively) looks like me and not only am I honored, I'm proud.

No comments: