Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Trip Down Memory Lane

Although I would never wish to go back to high school, there is one thing that I have missed since the day I walked across that stage: the choir. Yes, I'm still in the choir at church, but it's just not the same. There was nothing like giving an amazing performance that moves people even when they don't understand the language! And the feeling of getting up in front of other groups--mostly white groups who assumed that this almost all-black choir wasn't really 'bout nothin--and not only blowing them away but taking EVERYTHING at competitions? Nothing like it!!

So since I'm feeling a bit nostalgic, I pulled out some of my old music and threw a mini concert at Casa de Tori D. Since I'm not brave enough to put my own singing up on here, I found some videos of my fav choral and madrigal pieces. I really wish I had video of our choir (Murrah High School '00-'03, I can't vouch for the rest of yall! lol). We had the BEST choir director in the history of directors, IMO. Mr. Browning put his SOUL into teaching and directing us, and you could see it in his movements & facial expressions as well as the collective movements and expressions of the choir as we followed his lead. Good times man, good times...

Oh yeah, the videos!

" Die Nacht ist kommen" Petrus Herbert, 1566



"Vita De La Mia Vita" Chanticleer (first song that ever made me seriously want to sing something other than gospel/r&b)



"Paratum Cor Ejus" A. Vivaldi (to 2:10)

No comments: