Thursday, September 17, 2009

Quote(s) of the day

I've been on a quote kick this morning. Partially to keep myself motivated, but mainly to interrupt the mind-numbing boredom at work. I've been on AfricanAmericanQuotes.org, gleaning wisdom from some of our most noted leaders, activists, authors, and entertainers.

I am a feminist, and what that means to me is much the same as the meaning of the fact that I am Black: it means that I must undertake to love myself and to respect myself as though my very life depends upon self-love and self-respect.

June Jordan

Sometimes, I feel discriminated against, but it does not make me angry. It merely astonishes me. How can any deny themselves the pleasure of my company? It's beyond me.

Zora Neale Hurston

Every man has a right to his own opinion. Every race has a right to its own action; therefore let no man persuade you against your will, let no other race influence you against your own.

Marcus Garvey

Deal with yourself as an individual, worthy of respect and make everyone else deal with you the same way.

Nikki Giovanni

I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence.

Frederick Douglass

I do not expect the white media to create positive black male images.

Huey Newton, Huey Newton Interview

A spirit of harmony can only survive if each of us remembers, when bitterness and self-interest seem to prevail, that we share a common destiny.

Barbara Jordan

It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize, accept, and celebrate those differences.

Audre Lorde

Action, self-reliance, the vision of self and the future have been the only means by which the oppressed have seen and realized the light of their own freedom.

Marcus Garvey, The Philosophy and Opinions of Marcus Garvey

You are young, gifted, and Black. We must begin to tell our young, “There's a world waiting for you, yours is the quest that's just begun.”

James Weldon Johnson

Don't be afraid to feel as angry or as loving as you can, because when you feel nothing, it's just death.

Lena Horne

A little learning, indeed, may be a dangerous thing, but the want of learning is a calamity to any people.

Frederick Douglass, Address, Washington, D.C

It is not who you attend school with but who controls the school you attend.

Nikki Giovanni

Salvation for a race, nation or class must come from within.

Philip Randolph

We have to talk about liberating minds as well as liberating society.

Angela Davis

I ain't good-lookin', but I'm somebody's angel child.

Bessie Smith, Reckless Blues

No comments: