Monday, December 14, 2009

Doing Me

A couple days ago I was looking for little quotes to tweet to others & to get myself motivated for the day. I ran across something that has been stuck in my head:

“I do my thing and you do yours. I am not in this world to live up to your
expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and
I am I, and if by chance we find each other, then it is beautiful. If not, it
can't be helped.”(Gestalt prayer) -Frederick Perls

I think too often we concern ourselves with others opinions, to the point where we sometimes neglect our true selves in order to not garner any unwanted attention. Why do people treat others like they have two heads or something simply because the next person's actions or lifestyle differ from theirs? Isn't variety supposed to be the spice of life and all that jazz? If there is no one way of living, it really shouldn't bother me if someone else does or thinks things that I don't particularly agree with, as long as it doesn't adversely affect me.


Lately I have come to realize that I cannot be truly happy if I'm not free to be myself. I don't know if it's growing up or the newly developed attitude of "just don't give a f**k" but I'm at the point where I'd rather let my thoughts and opinions be known instead of sitting in the background going along with others or just complying with things because "that's how it's always been done" or "that's what I was taught." I figure I can do things my way and any of three things could happen:

  1. The people around me can agree with what I'm doing and possibly evaluate whether they are actually living the way they want to

  2. People can agree with what I'm doing but continue to do things according to the status quo

  3. People can have issues with what I'm doing, I say "f**k 'em" and continue to do me

I'm prepared to deal with either of those possibilities. Makes me no difference. What I say, do, think and feel is solely a reflection of Tori D. Anyone who doesn't like it is free to do them...

I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule
of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence. -Frederick Douglass

No comments: