Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I'm not giving up anything for Lent.


And that's okay.

That plus the drinking, fornicating, profanity, anger issues, etc. probably makes me a "bad Christian." But I just don't get the point of it.


Am I supposed to be closer to God if I give up drinking coke? Will I be spiritually stronger if I give up Twitter? Why can't I give up work for Lent?


I understand fasting, denying yourself in order to attain a type of oneness with the Almighty, but I don't think it makes a difference if I'm still doing all the other things that are supposedly wrong. And if I'm giving up "bad" things, does it matter that I did it when I go right back to it? For instance, if I gave up sex it would be kinda pointless, because I'm gonna go get some the day after Easter. And since, according to the Bible, I'm not supposed to be doing that anyway, I dunno if that sacrifice (and OMG that would definitely be a sacrifice) even counts. It's all for naught. And if I'm just giving up something because it's tradition, what good does that do me? I'd rather feel an unction from the spirit to do something of this nature than to feel like I have to do it because everyone else around me is.


*shrugs* But I'm not right anyway, so what do I know?

Just pray for me :)

No comments: