Wednesday, May 13, 2009

No Wedding After Bedding?

This post is prompted by the lecture that my parents have been regurgitating repeatedly over the course of my teen years, and especially leading up to my trip to Virginia tomorrow. (It's a little scattered but bear with me; I'm trying to write, pack, do another facial & make sure I got all my ish together for tomorrow.)

They are thoroughly convinced that no man will ever marry someone who he's already had sex with. to me, this is absolutely preposterous, but they really believe that. Now, considering their ages, maybe that was true back when they were looking for someone. Of course I know people were getting it in back then without getting married. Recently I've been finding out that many of my uncles have children outside of marriage that I've never even heard of. These baby mommas were put away, never to be heard of, while they married other women who they may or may not have been with before they said "I do."

But nowadays? I mean, think about it. I won't lie and say "everyone's doing it," because I have good friends that are holding out (and KUDOS to them!). However, many many people are indeed sexually active with their partner before getting married. Notice I said BEFORE, meaning that the marriage did come. And if no one is marrying after they get the draws, how come I keep getting wedding invitations from folks I KNOW were sexually active? Can't fool me!

Now I know there are other "reasons" for not having premarital sex. Fornication's forbidden, prevent STDs, no unwanted pregnancy, yadda yadda yadda. However, to present this archaic idea as a reason that someone should abstain? Not working, at all.

So what do you think? Is there more of a chance that a guy will marry the girl he's never had? Would guys prefer virgins? How many women would want a "pure" husband (or one that she's never taken for a test drive)? I'd love to hear your answers.

No comments: