Thursday, July 8, 2010

Faith or Foolishness?

Over the past several months, I have been hearing a statement over and over: "Life is too short to work a job that you hate." It's resonated with me because for the past two years I've been doing just that. Although I've moved around a little bit in the agency and done several different jobs, I'm not happy here. I've gotten to that all-too-familiar point where I hate getting up in the morning to come in, and it's a chore to be pleasant to people because I genuinely don't like it here.
On top of that, there is the fact that working an 8-to-5 definitely limits how much real estate I can do. Sure I can go knock on doors, make calls and meet with clients after work... On one of the few evenings that I'm not in class. Evening networking events are out. I already miss out on some of the meetings/lead generation building because they occur during work hours. And then there's that whole life thing... I'd like to have one of those! Things would be so much smoother if I had time during the day to work on my career instead of being stuck at the job.

So I'm thinking maybe it's time to make that move. I say that by December, even if I haven't found a part-time job, I want to quit. After all, what's the point of staying somewhere where I'm not happy, don't have any clear opportunity for advancement (not even a freakin' raise--thanks Governor), and not in a field that I want to be in?

But then reality kinda sets in and I think about everything that rides on my steady income. Car note. Grad school since I'm paying (mostly) out of pocket. Bills. Having a little bit of money to put into savings towards a home and my non-profit. And then there's the health, dental, vision and life insurance that I probably won't get with a part-time job. not to mention the state-matched retirement fund... It would be crazy to walk away from that right?

I am so torn right now. Step out on faith? Wait for "the right time" whenever the heck that is? Suck it up and deal with the crappy job & do the best I can with the other? I know people always talk about having faith, trusting God/your instincts/the universe or whatever... but how do you know that, in doing so, you won't fail miserably?
-----------

I know these don't really fit the "faith or foolishness" theme, but it's how I'm feeling at work right now





2 comments:

Citizen Ojo said...

So True...People think that everybody can step out of Faith. Alot of times people think God is talking when it is really people talking themselves up. When you have a family it's hard to just say I'm going to quit to go off and do whatever. We are in a recession. When the path is so clear that you can feel it in your bones...that's when you should roll out. But hey, don't take my advice. I'm just making it like you.

Tori D. said...

"Alot of times people think God is talking when it is really people talking themselves up."

YES! This is what I'm afraid of. I don't want to jump out there thinking I'm listening to God & God's sitting back like "Um, I never said that."