Thursday, June 10, 2010

Fight the good fight, or just say "F*** it"?

From reading this blog, y'all probably realize that while I am not afraid of controversial discussions and issues, I am not one of those people who tries to find racism/sexism/etc. in everything. I realize that fucked up things happen to just about everyone, so I'm not quick to yell out "You're a misogynist!" or
whenever I see some unsavory shit that happens to involve a minority. To me, decrying everything as racist, sexist, ageist, unfair, mean, etc. is like the boy crying wolf. Eventually people are gonna stop listening because you never learned to pick your battles and don't know when to STFU.

But sometimes I am tempted to go off and tell people about themselves. Especially when they are spewing horridly inaccurate information that is skewed to make another group look bad. A few weeks ago (when I started this post) it was a white woman on Twitter berating Black women & insisting that we were all herpes-infested whores. Recently it was the ignorance spewed by Slim Thug and the even more ignorant co-signing from other black men.

A lot of sisters have taken to the blogs, forums, Twitter, and wherever else to fight back. And I say good for them. If you have the wherewith all to deal with ig'nant assholes and irrelevant has-beens seeking attention by any means necessary, do so! Someone has to do it. Me? I think I'm just gonna try to ignore ignorance. It's sort of like the "Don't feed the animals" sign at the zoo. You start with one, then the others come along with the same mess, only more over the top to get a more over the top reaction. Eventually someone falls over the rails & the body is never found...

Wait, wat?

Never mind.

Point is, if the controversy comes to me, sure I'll address it. But til then, F it. Stupidity isn't worth the effort to address it. Besides, when arguing with a fool, it's hard to tell who's who.

No comments: